Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Oh Won't You Cry

Two years ago today, I was riding home from church with Brent Kaseman to his house for an intentional community meeting. A little over two and a half years prior I had built a casket for Brent's firstborn Anastasia, who died at three days old as a result of a placental abruption. We weren't talking about that on the ride. Whatever hopeful topic we were talking about was interrupted by my phone ringing, something that rarely happens. It was my mother with the news that my sister, Dawn, was in the hospital, with her nearly to term baby Hannah still-born due to a placental abruption.

We had the meeting. We began by praying for Dawn, her family, and her child. We did our best to discuss a hopeful future. In between the call from my mother and a call from my sister, I took a couple of photos, the only ones I took that day, of two girls and a cat: 



It's such a cute, happy picture, and I can't look at it without remembering Dawn and Hannah.

The photo came up this weekend in ThisLife, reminding me that the anniversary of Hannah's birth and death was at hand. Thinking about it, a song came to mind, kind of a lullaby spiritual, which I wrote and recorded yesterday afternoon. You've got most of the idea already; let me explain the chorus. My mother was able to attend the funeral, and to hold Hannah just before they placed her in the casket at the gravesite. She told me that Hannah's body was still pliable and warm - you see, she had never been out of someone's arms from her birth until her burial.

Click the link to hear the song sung:

Cry, baby, oh won't you cry
You're so sweet that I could die
So still and pale, oh won't you wail
As the Angel passes by

I'll hold you until God takes you home
I'll hold you until God takes you home

Cry, baby, oh won't you cry
You don't need a reason why
But if you don't then I must fail
To hide the tear that's in my eye

I'll hold you until God takes you home
I'll hold you until God takes you home

Cry, baby, oh won't you cry
The bank of Jordan's drawing nigh
The Angel carries you through the gale
I'll hold you again baby by and by

I'll hold you until God takes you home
I'll hold you until God takes you home
Cry baby, oh won't you cry
You're so sweet that I could die


PS: Dawn nearly did die two weeks later when she went into full eclampsia.

No comments:

Post a Comment