Wednesday, April 24, 2013

How Do I Tell You?

Heather Palumbo-Jones

A few hours ago, a friend shared the news (click the photo caption for the article) that the missing friend they had been searching and praying for was found, apparently murdered by her estranged husband. My first thought was: How do you tell the kids (ages 7 and 8) that their mother was murdered by their father? I was forced to stop and spend five minutes or so writing - not an answer, because I can't even imagine there being one - but a telling that is a question about how to tell. I couldn't post it at the time (now a couple of hours or so ago). I couldn't even re-read it until about 15 minutes ago. I'm not re-reading it again as I post it here. I don't know if I could ever have a voice long enough to read it for my poetry website. so, here it is presented without any more commentary.







How Do I Tell You?

How do I tell you
That the one who gave you life
Has had life taken away from her
Without taking your life too?

How do I tell you
That the one whose love made you
Inside the other one who loved you
Has now unmade that one?

How do I tell you
That the God who cares for you
Cares for you best by taking away
The ones who care for you?

How do I tell you
You are really and truly loved
When all you loved in the world
Is really and truly gone?

How do I tell you
When I can't even tell myself
And I just want to be held
Like I'm holding you?

No comments:

Post a Comment