Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Deliverance - Psalm 119 (120)


PSALM 119 (120)


A song of ascents.


In mine affliction I cried unto the Lord; and He heard me.
Deliver my soul, O Lord, from unjust lips, and from a
deceitful tongue.
What shall be given unto thee, or what shall be added unto
thee, for a deceitful tongue?
Sharp arrows of the mighty with coals of the desert.
Woe is me, that my sojourn is prolonged; I have dwelt with
the tents of Kedar; my soul hath long been a sojourner.
With them that hated peace I was peaceable; when I spake to
them, they made war against me without a cause.



The Psalmist has been the “guest” of his enemies for too long. The place he belongs is the house of his God, but instead he lives in nomadic goat-skin tents with his cousins who hate him. He’s tried to be at peace with them, but they have returned evil for good, and lied about their intentions. He lets them know what is coming as a recompense for their actions: the wrath of God from above, and the fires of Hell from below. For the Psalmist, it is time to leave for home.





O lying lips, O deceitful tongue
What will the Lord do to you?
Sharp arrows you have shot at me:
His arrows will pierce you through.
Your burning words are quenched and cold
Opposing the words of peace
The words of the Lord will burn eternally


I cry out, I cry out in my trouble
The Lord He answers me
I speak your  peace
They draw near with their daggers drawn
O Lord please hear my plea: deliver me!


Woe is me! for I have lived
Too long with savage tribes
They hate the God of truth and peace
They shout warlike diatribes.
Lord I must see your holy hill.
O Lord, give my soul release.
Deliver me now O Lord, my King of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment