Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Inside Jokes


Today is my sister Dawn Harvey's birthday. This is the poem I wrote for her:
Don your ecology hat, culottes and striped socks
And we'll take a teeny trip through time together to
When we shared the same space in time and place -
Not 'memb'ring my manipulation of aught but time-line -
Michigan New York New York and South Carolina
All the states and times we shared state and time
Remember when my mom? Of course you do she's yours too
If we had had a television we'd have nostalgia now like
Everybody else our age (which we share for the next six weeks)
Hanging our memories from aerial antennas and rabbit ears
As it is, many of our memories are sacred, profaning the church
Revolving around the fundamentals: the fun and the mental
Verily verily I play unto you, I call you now friend not servant
Everyone has heard there's a friend closer than a brother
You should know they call that soul-stuck friend Sister.
She re-posted it on Facebook and noted that a lot of this was inside jokes. Thought I'd try to let you in on them.

"Don your ecology hat, culottes and striped socks" - This was Dawn's favorite outfit from the time she added "teen" to her age until I made her buy a white ruffly blouse and jean skirt when she was almost 17.

"a teeny" - Threw this in due to the fact that she was a teen when she wore the above outfit.

"Not 'memb'ring my manipulation of aught but time-line" - I used to get Dawn to take the fall for me, mainly by talking her into doing the bad stuff. Later, I used to get her to do chores by buying ice cream.

"Michigan New York New York and South Carolina" - Manipulation of the time-line - we lived in New York on either side of living in Michigan. Those are all the States we lived in together, as per the next line.

"Remember when my mom?" - Key word there is "my". We always use the posessive when talking about our mother. Drives the rest of our families nuts.

"If we had had a television" - Our television broke in December of '74, and during the month it was gone, my father started going to church. We sold it in June, discovering then that we had never plugged it in after it got fixed.

"Everybody else our age (which we share for the next six weeks)" - I am the oldest by 10 1/2 months.

"As it is, many of our memories are sacred, profaning the church" - We grew up at church, attending all 3 services after we picked people up, unlocked the doors, shoveled the walks, and stayed until everyone else was gone. Then we came back for a couple of visitation programs, and mowed the lawn. All of our friends were members of the church. We were as familiar with the Lord's house as our own.

"Revolving around the fundamentals: the fun and the mental" - We read incessantly, sometimes even when we were actively playing. We both enjoyed school and learning as much as we enjoyed playing. We usually made our own toys, and hung out at the library.

"Verily verily I play unto you, I call you now friend not servant" - Biblical references, adapted for our particular relationship.

I hope you enjoyed the poem, and have a fuller appreciation of what it means to me and Dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment